Long-awaited springtime celebrations return this May. For the first time since 2019, you’ll be able to celebrate spring at the 2022 Burnaby Blooms Festival!
WHERE & WHEN IS IT?
This amazing festival will take place at Shadbolt Centre for the Arts and Deer Lake Park (6450 Deer Lake Ave, Burnaby, BC V5G 2J3). It’s easily reached by car – please note that there is limited free parking available. Buses also stop right outside — you can plan your visit via the TransLink website. Burnaby Blooms will run from 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday, May 7.
Festival highlights include an eco-art installation curated by local Burnaby artist Nickie Lewis, educational and cultural walking tours, gardening workshops and plant sales, a speaker series, roving performers, live music and a fabulous kid’s stage featuring free family-friendly entertainment all day. Be inspired by stunning art displays made of flowers, plants and natural materials while enjoying the beauty of Deer Lake Park.
Burnaby Blooms promotes the long-term sustainability and the ecological health of our community in a fun and creative environment. Mark your calendars and plan to drop by for hours of fun at the City’s favourite spring festival!
Some of the free events taking place from 10am – 4pm are as follows:
Help Plant an Eco-Sculpture, Burnaby Potter’s Guild – Pottery Sales, BC Floral Art Society Display, Burnaby Artists’ Guild Art Show, Drop-in Painting in the Park, Create a Garden Collage on Canvas with Matt Holmstrom, On the fence: A Sustainable Collaborative Art Activity with Sylvie Roussel-Janssens,Create Wings using Natural Materials, Create a Mask Inspired by Nature with Siobvan D’Souza, Make a Fairy House, Mulberry Paper Flower Making Activity with Tanya Bub, Come Help Build a Dragon! with Nickie Lewis, Poetry Installation – Inspired by Eco-art, Create a Children’s Fairy Puppet with Edie & Melanie, Create a Felted Wool Creature with Maddy, Making Natural Dyes from Flowers with Still Moon Arts Society, Create Beautiful Flower Prints with Luminous Elephant Studio, Build and Decorate a Kite, Plant a Flower To Take Home, In the BAG: Earth Sculptures and BAG on a Bike.
Some activities require pre-registration ($5 registration fee applies). Please click the hyperlinked times to register.
- Family Canoeing Classes – 10-11:15 am, 12-1:15 pm & 2-3:15 pm
- Touch of Spring – Learn the Art of Ikenobo Ikebana – 10-11:30 am
- Miniature Vertical Garden – 10 am-12 pm
- Growing in Containers with Amanda Jarrett – 10 am-12 pm
- Invasive Free Species Hanging Planter with the Invasive Species Council of Metro Vancouver – 10:45 am-12:15 pm
- Botanical Ice Tile Photography with Cherry Archer – 11:15 am-12 pm, 1-1:45 pm
- Cyanotype Sun Prints – 1-2:30 pm
- Learn the Art of Shibori (Japanese tye dye) with Mariana Frochtengarten – 2-2:45 pm, 3-3:45 pm
- Creating Eco-friendly Art Materials with Alex Stewart – 2:30-4 pm
- Floral Painting En Plein Air with Natalie Robinson – 2:30-4 pm
Talks and Tours
Talks require pre-registration. Please click the hyperlinked times to register:
- Make Good Food Last Longer: Food Preservation and Fermentation with Lucette Wesley of the South Burnaby Garden Club – 10:30-11:30 am
- Transitions – An Indigenous Woman’s Perspective of Spring on the Waters of the BC Coast with Rosemary Georgeson – 12:30-1:30 pm
- Irish Folk & Fairy Tales with Storyteller Philomena Jordan – 2:30-3:30 pm
Some tours require pre-registration ($5 registration fee applies). Please click the hyperlinked times to register:
- Burnaby Art Gallery Tours of the Artist Apprenticeship Exhibition – 10 am-2:30 pm (every 30 minutes)
- The Indigenous Natural History of Deer Lake with John Priessl – 10:30 am-12 pm
- Birds of Deer Lake with George Clulow – 10:30 am-12:30 pm
- Deer Lake Heron Colony Tour with Nadia Xenakis – 12-1 pm
- Medicinal Plants of Deer Lake with Lori Synder – 12:30-2 pm
- Legends of Deer Lake Tour with John Priessl – 1-2:30 pm
- Flora and Fauna of Deer Lake – in Mandarin with George Clulow – 1:30-3:30 pm
- Your Neighbourhood Bats! with Danielle Dagenais – 2-3:30 pm
- City Nature Challenge – 2:30-3:30 pm
In addition to the event on May 7th, there will also be 3 micro-events in different parks around Burnaby, where you can participate in fun activities and demonstrations for all ages. Events will take place at:
- Confederation Park – May 14
- Central Park – May 21
- Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area – May 28
Visit Burnaby.ca/blooms for more info and the a full event schedule.